Pages

Thursday, September 2, 2010

Tor.com / Science fiction and fantasy / Blog posts / Out of Print For Decades, The Dune Encyclopedia Surfaces Online

Fans of Frank Herbert’s Dune series are in for a long, lost treat. A fully illustrated and searchable online version of the long out of print Dune Encyclopedia has surfaced.

(My comment on the Tor.com blogpost) I haven't read the Encyclopedia, but I've read to tatters the original Dune novels and The Eye short story collection. I tried to get immersed in Anderson's and the younger Herbert's take on the Dune Universe, and succeeded for awhile. As I recall, I somewhat liked their collaborations up until Hunters of Dune. Looking back, I think I grudgingly read Sandworms of Dune, just wanting to get the saga finished.

I tried to like Paul of Dune, but I guess Sandworms soured me on the B. Herbert-Anderson continuation of and elaborations on the Dune universe. To begin with, they didn't try to write like Frank, which is probably for the best. But between Hunters and Sandworms, the conclusion just felt completely at odds with the cliffhanger ending of Chapterhouse: Dune and I thought didn't quite mesh with the universe that Frank laid down in the originals.

This is of course a personal opinion, and judging by the ongoing additions to Dune, probably in the minority. Perhaps someday I'll work up the desire to pick up where I left off and see what Brian and Kevin were and are up to since Sandworms. Until then I'll have to revisit every now and then Dune as Frank as envisioned it.

Posted via email from Firesaw

No comments:

Post a Comment